Students will be required to complete a total of twenty (20) hours of Community Service or Service –Learning activities. Students may begin attaining their hours after the first day of their freshman school year. The Community Service hours must be completed prior to May first (1st) of their scheduled graduation year. To have your Community Service or Service-Learning hours count toward graduation, you MUST do the following:
- Find a Community Service activity(s) in which to participate
- Get approval of your activity from your advisor prior to starting the activity
- Set and write up (document) a goal for the activity(s)
- Complete the activity(s)
- Complete the Community Service / Service-Learning reporting form with the appropriate signatures, hours, and dates included, (see attachment)
- Complete a written narrative of each Community Service or Service-Learning experience, include your goal, the outcome(s), and a reflection of what you learned/gained from the experience
- Turn in your paperwork to your advisor
- Place the written documentation into your portfolio.
The purpose for the Community Service activity is to help the students to gain personal insight into career, civic, ethical, academic, and social development through volunteering to do work in their community. The volunteer community activity should be selected so that the students develops a sense of civic and social responsibility and improve their citizenship skills. Community Service should also provide opportunities for students to become active, positive contributors to our society.
The Colorado Department of Education’s website http://www.cde.state.co.us/servicelearning/index.htm
has clearly define Community Service and Service-Learning activities. These definitions are listed below: Community Service is: A project where students provide service to the community, either as part of a class or another activity.
- Student / youth cleaning up a park
- Students volunteering at a homeless shelter
- High school students tutoring elementary school students
A curriculum combining in-depth analysis of an issue with community actions. Service-Learning has both learning and service goals.
- Students cleaning up a park plus a study of the environment or waste
- Working at a shelter plus a study of poverty / homelessness
- Tutoring elementary students plus a study of the social impact of illiteracy, teaching methods, investigation of other content areas.
As you can see Community Service is doing an activity in the community while Service-Learning is doing the activity and adding a learning component to it.
You can gain community service hours in many ways. Your advisor or counselor can help you with ideas and provide contacts for Community Service or Service-Learning projects. Community Service activities must be community or civic minded and they should be designed to improve the community as a whole.
You may only count VOLUNTEER Community Service hours towards graduation. Court-ordered Community Service does not meet the graduation requirement.
Specific Volunteer Oppportunities
We hope you will join us for the annual Singing with Santa event taking place Friday, November 24. This event draws 1,000 – 1,500 community members to town and we are looking for several volunteers to help us with leading Christmas Carols up Main Avenue, hand out cookies and hot chocolate at Buckley Park and help assist with pictures with Santa. See below for details on each positon.
- Greeters/handout glow sticks (3 volunteers) 5:20-6:20 pm Volunteers are needed to help greet guests as they arrive and hand out glow sticks to the children participating in the Singing with Santa Event. Start time is 5:20pm. Location TBA.
- Hot Chocolate/Cookies (6-8 volunteers) 5:30-7:30 pm Volunteers are needed to help serve hot chocolate and cookies to participants that arrive at Buckley Park. Volunteers will need to arrive at Buckley Park at 5:30 to help set up. We will provide further instructions once you arrive.
- Lead Christmas Carols (10 volunteers) 5:30-6:30pm Volunteers are needed to lead participants in singing Christmas carols while walking up Main Ave. to the Christmas Tree at Buckley Park. Volunteers will be provided a list of Christmas carols to sing, flashlight, Christmas hat and a bullhorn to help manage and guide a group of participants to Buckley Park. Volunteers will need to arrive at 5:25pm. Location TBA. Once the participants arrive at Buckley Park we will continue to sing Christmas carols until we light the tree at 6:30pm.
- Clean up Crew (5 volunteers) 7:30-8pm We are looking for a few volunteers to help with clean-up crew after the event is over. This includes putting away tables, event supplies and taking out the trash. Thank you in advance for signing up for this not so glorious job but a much needed one.