Early tomorrow morning, we will be in touch with State, County, and City officials regarding conditions on the road throughout our community. Additionally, we coordinate with our colleagues in neighboring districts and local colleges. My team and I also head out on the roads early to drive main routes to assess the conditions of the roads in passenger vehicles.
If it is determined that it is safe for a majority of our community to make it to school, we usually err on the side of caution recognizing the inconvenience that school cancelation may cause. We will begin notifying families between 5:45 and 6:00 am as our target for such a decision is 5:30 am. If no message is received, school is on a normal schedule. You can always check the website at www.durangoschools.org to verify such information.
As always, we recognize that our community experiences different conditions and individuals may face greater challenges based upon the roadways they need to access. We always encourage parents to make the best decision in the interest of the safety of your child(ren). If you feel it is unsafe, please contact your child(ren)’s school(s) to excuse their absence based on weather. Our crews began clearing school parking lots and side walks this afternoon to get a jump on the process.
We look forward to a great second half of the school year! Please contact me if you have any questions.